Consultant on EU Climate & Waste Policies
About Ohana Public Affairs
Ohana is a Brussels-based boutique public affairs consultancy. We are specialised in sustainability and dedicated to making the European Union’s policies and processes easy to understand and readily actionable within organisations.
As a company, we are committed to driving positive change through public affairs and to the belief that it is possible to work alongside organisations and help them grow while still advancing sustainability. Our approach is based on three key pillars, which shape our methods and engagement from start to finish: Change rooted in reality, Change through awareness-raising, and Change through collaboration.
Our small team work closely together based on our core values: honesty, simplicity, determination, empathy and respect.
About the role
You will contribute to Ohana activities by:
- Acting as account manager for some clients:
- Managing day to day client relationships and raise issues when needed to founder and other colleagues;
- Delivering clear, precise and client-driven analysis and advice;
- Representing clients in policy debates and meetings with policy makers;
- Delivering project work within budget.
- Leading on specific policies for the office:
- Scope: Circular economy policies such as the Waste Framework Directive, EPR for textiles, Waste Shipment Regulation (support after publication), raising climate ambition across EU legislative initiatives for textiles;
- Other policy areas under product communication could also be of relevance;
- Monitoring EU developments and delivering up to date intelligence on the above files;
- Undertaking research work and drafting policy briefs;
- Liaising with European institutions and other stakeholders;
- Attending events (EP committee meetings, Commission conferences, etc.);
- Contributing to Ohana mission of driving change through awareness-raising by
- Delivering specific sessions in our webinar based services;
- Contributing to the company blog;
- Participating in 1% For The Planet project through pro-bono support to Protect Our Winter Europe.
- 3-5 years’ work experience as public affairs expert / EU policy specialist expert in sustainability matters;
- Deep understanding of European policy making process and EU Institutions;
- Proven ability to develop high-impact, multi-level external advocacy programs;
- Experience working with and advising with stakeholders;
- Good knowledge of sustainability issues and ability to facilitate this knowledge into well-articulated arguments;
- Clear thinking/problem solving; ability to simplify strategy into specific actions with clear accountability and make decisions with speed and accuracy based on best available information;
- Project management experience;
- Deep interest in sustainability and willing to work with organisations driving positive change on sustainability and creating positive impacts through policies;
- Entrepreneurial mind set;
- A good team player, willing to contribute at every level;
- Ability to work and thrive as part of a small and dedicated team as well as without supervision;
- Well organised and able to manage multiple priorities and varying pressures to meet measurable targets and strict deadlines;
- Enthusiasm, a focus on the client, a dynamic, quick-thinking approach to work, a good eye for detail and strong analytical skills;
- Excellent social skills to interact and engage with the diverse range of policy stakeholders;
- Fluent English skills (speaking and writing) – additional languages are a plus;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
You can expect
- Challenging assignments on topical political issues;
- A focus on in-depth understanding of sustainability issues and intelligent strategic advice;
- A non-hierarchical, friendly working environment within an effectively managed structure.
- Location: Brussels, with the possibility of working from home
- Travels, depending on clients’ needs and sanitary situation
- 10-month contract from March 1st to end November 2023
- Possibility to be extended
How to apply
Apply by 15th January through this form.